Saturday, January 17, 2009

Which way to go?




As an artist I love signs. I love type. I love handwriting. Perhaps I even love graffiti-sometimes. It depends. Growing up in N.Y.C. there was a time when graffiti was everywhere . It presence has  diminished & it's artistry has as well. But one can still find interesting pieces here & there & it gives the sights a little interest if it is done well. Here are some examples found today:often overlooked  words scratched into cement-usually names and often followed by the lovely symbol of a heart/an unusual spray painted tag (it struck me as calligraphic in nature:as if it was done by pen stroke rather than spray can nozzle ) & the common street sign-perhaps it is pointing out the way to go in life rather than "just" the flow of traffic on the street...?   

No comments:

Post a Comment